Monday, February 26, 2007

There's two of them now...

Last Saturday mid-morning, after a nice breakfast, D decided to do some yard work.

Ana decided to play with Enid, her cabbage patch doll; which usually involves her meticulously undressing Enid, and making me dress the doll back again starting with diaper, and ending with socks & shoes.

The doll was a gift from great grandma, along with a huge wardrobe of perfectly tailored clothes for all seasons, including crocheted hooded sweater & mittens and what-not.

Don't laugh at me: I secretly love dressing the doll and look for ways to entice Ana to play with Enid, so I can join in without feeling silly...

So, while making a nice cup of chai, I was also playing with Ana and Enid. Semi-Idyllic.

Then, Ana spied D outside in the backyard and wanted to join him. So, she found her coat and asked me to help her get it on.

Then, she pointed and asked me to get D's coat as well, trying to state, with a worried look, that Appa is out there in the cold all unprotected, no coat!

Of course, I gave her D's coat and she indicated she was ready to step out. So, I opened the patio door, let her out.

She walked up to D, handed him the coat and waited eagerly for him to wear it.

D is sort of a polar bear, and when doing yard work, he usually doesn't like to wear that coat unless it is pouring down or snowing heavily. So, he said, "Thank you, Ana. I don't need the coat. You can give it back to Amma."

Boy, did her face fall, and was she upset!

I was just watching this and suggested, "why don't you just put it on for a few minutes, it'll make her happy..."

Rolling eyes and a shaking head told me I had not quite treaded safely on the eggshells: D looked at me with a dear-gawd-there's-two-of-them-now look, put on the coat and picked Ana up and sat down for a breather.

Determined to be helpful, I ventured, "Isn't it sweet? The little doll is so protective of you."

"Hm. I think you mean controlling... she probably inherited the gene."

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger Jayarama Krishnan said...

Absolutely agree. There are some genes that should be ripped out, smashed with a hammer and thrown into the Pacific. And oh yeah - replaced with a choc-loving gene! ;)

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Jayarama Krishnan said...

Btw
>> Don't laugh at me: I secretly love dressing the doll and look for ways to entice Ana to play with Enid, so I can join in without feeling silly...

I never knew changing diapers could become an addiction!!! :o

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

krishnan, as sangeet can attest, an unloaded/unsoiled diaper-change involving no breath-holding for over 30seconds is certainly more welcome than the "real" one :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older