Saturday, February 03, 2007

Typical mommy-baby saturday morning

Ana and I are just recovering from weeklong symptoms of flu and what-not. We decided to spend the morning doing the usual mommy-daughter stuff we do on Saturday mornings. Daddy is still not quite well and wanted to be left alone.

She helped me make breakfast for her: basically, sat on my hip and supervised while I made an Adai Dosai for her. She had a few bites of it for breakfast, with some ketchup.

Then, she helped me put the dishes away: at least, as long as I could make it clear to her that she cannot climb on the open door of the dishwasher, it went fine; then we had to take a break.

She wanted her hair done. What little she has, that is. She would find a hair band or hair clip and make me tie/clip her hair up. Then she would take it off in under a minute, and make me to do it again. This went on for about a dozen times.

Then, she wanted to get into two of my lower-level kitchen cupboards and play with my pots and pans. She loves stacking them and unstacking them; banging on them with a spoon. This gave me some time to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea.

mommy baby artThen we decided to do some art. We sat in our "Art Studio": a plastic mat spread on the floor. I gave her an old brush of mine, some card stock paper and some tempera paints.

She loves to finger paint. But of late, she started sucking the paints down more than putting them on paper, so, I thought a brush might be a novelty. It worked. She dipped the old brush in the paints and dabbed all over the cardstock "art" paper and had a blast.

She kept herself occupied for about 20 minutes. Enough time for me to start some rice in the rice cooker and make green jackfruit curry.

She is getting somewhat dainty these days: if she accidentally got some paint on her clothes or shoes, she would say, "Uh-Oh, Amma. Wipe. Amma, Wipe Ana." Somehow, getting the paints into her mouth doesn't seem to bother her as much!

melissa and doug wood puzzleAfter about 20 minutes of Art, she seemed ready for a different activity. She loves her Melissa&Doug Wood Puzzles. She has 3 of them. But, her favorite is this one pictured here.

She likes to do it all by herself these days. But, she loves it best when I jumble it up for her first. Then, she has a lot of fun talking to herself saying the animal name and putting its piece correctly.

So, I let her do them one by one. That kept her busy for about another 20 minutes. Enough time for me to cut and assemble a fleece bag I wanted to make.

melissa and doug wood puzzleThen, it was time for her lunch. So, got her strapped in her highchair and gave her some peas, corn and rice. Had her in my vicinity and chatted with her about Bunny and Mouse, recited 'Hickory Dickory Dock', 'Higglety Pigglety', 'One Two Buckle my shoe', while sewing my fleece bag.

Then, about 20 minutes later, after about 10 spoonfuls, she decided she is done, and lifted both her arms up shaking her hands doing the "All Gone" sign while screaming "Amma, Ana all done".

Somehow, when she decides she is all done, she wants out of her chair instantaneously! She would sit and stare at her food, play with etc for as long as she wants, but, the minute she says she is done, if we don't jump up, run to her and clean her up, she gets very upset. Wonder what that is all about...

Anyway, after lunch she knows it is naptime. She tried to protest. Usually, I am not too strong - I sort of give in and let her play a little more and then read to her before putting her in bed. But, today, D decided to be firm and put her in bed. Which turned out great as it gave me a chance to boot up my machine and blog! yay!

Ana is taking a nap. I have a few loads of laundry to do. Lunch is ready, but, neither D nor I are ready for it. We are still a little sick and can't stomach yummy food just yet. It's been a packed Saturday morning. Feels good to be up and about... Time for another delicious cup of chai.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Jayarama Krishnan said...

Idyllic. :)
Can make it to super-mom, I'm sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older