Thursday, June 14, 2007

kids crafts: bookmarks



Ana is too little to color "properly" with her crayons and markers, let alone color within boundaries and draw designs. But, I remember doing a few craft projects with my cousins when I was baby sitting them and wanted to try it with Ana anyway...

This is a nice little project for 4-6 year olds who can either copy a pattern or come up with their own whimsical ones. The nice thing about this project is that it is small, it is useful and can be done during birthday parties and given away as party favors. And, probably can work as an incentive to read books :-)

One evening, I had Ana just scribble with her crayons on cardstock as a start. She had just finished some finger-painting and the artistic streak was still lingering... so, before it turned into a mild obsession about undressing Olga, I handed her some crayons and the card stock paper. Then, I drew a rough outline for the bookmarks to incorporate her scribblings.

By now, of course, Ms.Busy-bee had moved on to changing her clothes and shoes, and doing the same with Olga and Enid... While she was keeping herself occupied thusly, I decided to finish the job, so-to-speak...

I had to be careful though - she is very possessive of her crayons and markers. If she spies me even touching the box that holds them, she likes to throw a fit. So, I adjourned to the craft nook where I do my sewing, where she knows I am doing my own thing and not worrying about her, stealing a few crayons and markers and hoping she doesn't notice...

And, there you have it! A few handy bookmarks... just like a kid made it!

I can't wait to do a few more with her when she understands the steps involved and wants to do it herself.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Gauri said...

Thanks for this one Sheela.

With the kids' summer break (and we're talking a full month and a half) coming up, I've been trying to conjure up all sorts of activities and outings to keep them busy.

This sure is going to be one.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

Bookmarks are womderful. I love how kids will make a bookmark and then use it for a long time. This is a great project!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older