Saturday, June 23, 2007

raising a happy child

It is a tough topic I wrestle with on and off: How to raise a happy child?

There are tons of literature on it and I have read my share of them...

But, what usually helps me wrap my mind around it is this:
Happiness is not about walking around with a smile always.

This statement, which I encountered in my late teens, made a big impact on me.

Indeed, Happiness is not about smiles and laughs alone...

Happiness is about learning to be well-adjusted, well-rounded, well-equipped to cope with whatever Life throws at you.

That lightbulb moment helped me channel my whinings and complainings towards a positive, action-oriented approach to learning to be happy.

In general, I try to think back on my childhood to find the elements that made me appreciate the world and everything I have been exposed to, and how to apply that to raising a Happy Ana.

Accepting, coping with, and getting past the many things Life usually throws at us is a big lesson to learn, in addition to appreciating all that we love and cherish...

By being there for me, by listening to my angst and helping me get past it, by teaching me that there are not just ups but downs as well that make Life worth living, I think my parents showed me the way to become a better person, a happy person.

I hope I can pass that lesson on to Ana...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Tharini said...

True, so very true. That one sentence made a huge impact on me too...Happiness is not just about walking with a smile on your face...great!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Hey that's really well said. I like that line too. I think I should learn that first before I try to pass it on to poppin !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older