Tuesday, January 02, 2007

baby signs

baby signs My mum-in-law gave this book when TJOML was a tiny baby.

We love the concept and we sincerely gave it a shot.

We taught the usual signs for "More", "All Gone/Done", "Hat", "Drink", "Eat", "Milk" and a few of our own for "Want/Give me", "Come Here" etc. And we are glad her daycare has been reinforcing signs as well.

TJOML learnt to sign for the most common things much before she started saying the associated words in her own sweet way.

She usually says the word "more" with the more sign these days: tapping her fingers bunched together.

A few months ago, when her Nana visited us and we went to The Takahashi, TJOML was sitting across from me and Nana. We were almost done and weren't sure if TJOML was done. I simply looked at her and did the "All Done"? sign and she shook her head from side to side indicating she is not done! Not a word was exchanged but we communicated our thoughts while TJOML kept merrily babbling away and slurping her soba and miso soup, clutching her chopsticks. She was all of 18-months old then!

In some sense, it tugs at my heart because signing is considered essential form of communication for kids with hearing/speech impairment.

So, I am torn about teaching it to TJOML. I should be encouraging her to express herself in words and sounds. Which I do. In loads. In two different languages. Now that she can communicate using words, and even make up baby sentences, we've eased up on signs a bit, but, I feel we must continue to sign.

My main goal is to be able to teach her "No", "Yes" and some common disciplinary signs so that, in public, I don't have to worry about yelling at her when she begins a tantrum - I simply sign to her and she hopefully notices and understands. Not that that will stop her tantrum, but, at least we'll be communicating, she will know I am talking to her even if I am not using words in a high/loud tone while struggling with my own temper and reactions...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger Julie Q. said...

I just stumbled onto your blog and enjoyed reading this post. We have taught all of our children signs when they were little. It has been a great way to help them communicate their needs before they get really verbal. I think it encourages rather than discourages early talking. Anyway, good luck!

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such an encouraging post on signing (sign post?). It is amazing being able to communicate at such an early age, isn't it? It's great that you are getting the word out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older