Monday, June 15, 2009

Vernal Bereftitude

After bawling inconsolably for most of the afternoon, throwing uncharacteristic tantrums and refusing to get interested in anything else, even her favorite trio of Harry-Ron-Hermione discovering Hogwarts, Ana finally helped me understand the reason for her sadness: she did not want it to be the last day of school.

I know how she feels. Well, sort of. I used to get that empty, forlorn feeling after annual exams every year. Relieved that I don't have to go to school everyday for many many days to come, and knowing that I could do anything I wanted to do, I used to really want to go to school.

The parapet wall where I'd sit for hours talking with my best friend, the cozy little Ayah's hut where she'd lovingly make us a cup of tea that smelled like kerosene smoke and orange pekoe, the nook in the upstairs library where I'd sit longingly scanning the shelves vowing to read every one of the books before the year ends, my desk and chair in my classroom right in the front row corner with its nicks and cuts and forbidden carvings... everything turned magical when school was out for summer.

And Ana, at some level, in some subtle way that her sensitive mind comprehends, is experiencing this bereftitude...

I wish I could tell her it will be all right. I wish I could help her understand that while it will be different when she goes back next year, it will still be the same school, the same teachers she knew and loved, it will still have the same friends more or less, maybe even some new ones, and in the end it will all work out.

And, it might so happen that she would have to go to a different school, with different teachers and friends... it would still be fine, she'll shine...

But for now, all I wish to offer my little girl is plenty of hugs, a host of exciting activities, and an opportunity to see-experience-understand our world as best as her tender mind can...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Blogger Gauri said...

Awwww :) That's a sweet sweet post Sheela :).

Am sure she'll soon find herself occupied with many other things - what with you providing her with much input in terms of reading, creativity and other such activities.

Here's to happy holidays :)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Subhashree said...

Aww... hugs to Ana...

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You girls should know that there is special place (aka home) in "the dove ln" taking admission for summer meet up school. Ana and oggie has a special VIP pass . And yes, we do take kids over 30+ .
Hurry up . Door are always open for you guys. Come on over .
Special Chai for 30+ kid and coffee juice for Ana and plenty of organic milk/goodies for oggie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older