Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

This year Thanksgiving was low-key as always. Considering that I don't like turkey (and D doesn't really care for it much), and considering we usually visit D's family for Thanksgiving, we have never made a big fuss about the meal itself. I like all the sides - green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, stuffing, steamed corn, candied yams and such... so, I did make a simple Thanksgiving meal at home on Friday.

Unfortunately, Ana was sick all four days of the T'giving break. She seemed fine enough last Thursday with some occasional cough, which turned progressively nasty overnight and by Friday she had a full-blown viral attack of some sort - fever, cough, congestion - and as a result was quite cranky throughout. All I could do was just rub some Vicks, run the humidifier in her room, give her some Tylenol to bring down the fever and hope her immune system works through it.

All Friday & Saturday Ana and I were cooped up at home, barely managing the daily activities. Ana was not in the mood for anything, so, I let her watch her Grinch , Nodi, Smot and Baby Monet DVDs, bundled up in soft blankets, feeding her plenty of warm fluids - as often as she would let me.

Sunday, she felt a little better, so we did some simple sticker art and rubber stamping. Her favorite stamps are crab, fish, flowers and baby. She sort of stamps them in some order and makes up a story - like, "Amma, baby eat fish, look!" or, "Amma, crab climb on baby!"...

And, she loves stamping her thumb-print and showing it off to D.

It was incredibly sweet to watch D gushing and encouraging her with, "Nice work Ana - do you know it is unique? No one else can make one like that. It is special..." Not that she understands any of it much - but, I liked that he said that instead of, "Ana! look how dirty your fingers are, now don't put your hand on my shirt, or the sofa, the ink won't come off easily..."

We made each of the thumb-prints into a bug - just took a pen and added eyes, antennae, legs, maybe wings on some to make them into cute little bugs. I think it cheered her up a bit after two days of feeling awful.

She seemed well enough today so she is back in daycare and am back at work, but, am feeling lousy myself, wondering if I am incubating and getting ready for my own bout with the illness...


Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger mamacomeshome said...

Anonymous said...
Hope you don't mind but I was looking at your blog, considering how similar our lives are with little ones and working full time! I'm considering coming home, finding,like you said in an earlier post, that today's working world is not just 8-5. Working 50-70 hour weeks just does not allow me to have my cake and eat it too. I am actually trying to drum up some comments and feedback as I an my husband consider all the possible concerns and needs to take care of if I were to quit work and come home. Your comments on cutting DirectTV, etc. are already first in our minds. My first post towards this huge quest is at wsw.mamacomeshome.blogspot.com. I'd welcome your thoughts, feedback and suggestions!

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Kowsalya Subramanian said...

Very sorry to hear that Ana was sick. Hope you and Ana are better now.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Kowsalya Subramanian said...

Hope you and Ana are doing better now

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger utbtkids said...

Whats with the high temparature viral? Last week Chula was down with high 103 and 104, Thanks giving weekend it was Mieja's turn.

Thumbprint bugs - that is a super cute idea. May be I can try some at home. The younger one is at an age where she wants to particpate in all art and reading activities with the elder one but not quite grown up. So we have mishaps like sh drinking the aquadoodle water, tearing the library book, the two kids fighting their lives over teh same paint brush and a tired mee calling off the activity...aaaah. But thubprints might work well, they both have their own thumbs at their disposal.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger anja said...

i'm a regular lurker, love your blog and marvel at your energy to do such creative stuff with lil Ana. Just wanted to say hope she is better now. your lil bugs sound adorable..will try them with my lil one=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older