Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ova Auss

"Appa, Appa, Emily gwisgo pofo ova auss"
"Amma, Emily has popo ova auss"

"Is that so, Ana? Emily has purple overalls? Nice."

"Ana no popo ova auss, Amma."


D and I suppress a quiet smile and ignore the last statement.

Over the hum of the car and the prattle on NPR, Ana tries again.

"Appa, Emily gwisgo gwyrdd crys aa pofo ova auss"
"Da iawn*, Ana."
"Amma, Ana no ova auss."

*da iawn = very good, gwyrdd crys = green shirt, gwisgo = wear, pofo = porffor = purple (in Welsh)

D and I burst out laughing in unison. Not that Ana knows it or is intentionally trying to drop hints about the fact that her current wardrobe is lacking overalls... But, I couldn't help attaching the sneaky adult motive behind a plain statement of fact.

She would not shut up about Emily's purple overalls and Emily's green shirt (and the observation that Ana has no overalls) for the whole 10-minute ride to her daycare!

Of course, there is a reason Ana doesn't have overalls - aside from the fact that I don't like them much, she is in potty training stage and needs clothes she can manipulate easily out of the way to use the potty unhindered...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger utbtkids said...

No, certain things they notice. For diwali I put a simple green frock with a black scarf thingy on for my elder one. I was expecting her to pull the scraf and throw it away. But her next question was, 'Amma, I want a hat, a black hat'. I was stunned and her next request was for a 'socks, big socks that goes till this(pointing to hip), on my underpants, just like Victoria and Sara'. God the things they notice!!!

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kay said...

Awwwww! Do gift her a purple overalls and green shirt after she's potty trained. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older