Saturday, May 09, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Cadbury's Five Star bar, Jangiri, and Thool Pakkoda. Treasures cached in my mom's purse at the turn of each month. Once a month, every month for the longest time, my mom had this habit of bringing home the trio of treats for us kids on pay day.

Till teenage took over and thwarted the sense of wonder and beatitude that were the hallmarks of a carefree childhood, I would eagerly await her arrival, and before she could take off her slippers, I would wrestle her handbag off her shoulder and start hunting shamelessly. An added bonus: somebody's birthday at school - there would be some extra candies and such that my mom meticulously saved in her handbag knowing what a thrill it would give us kids to find and gobble them up greedily.

Bottles and bottles of Rosemilk essence... always stocked in the fridge. Simply stir a few tablespoons into a glass of cold milk to enjoy the most heavenly beverage a six year old could imagine...

Crunchy, savory home-made vadaams (tapioca and rice concotions), sun-dried and always handy, fried in minutes and vanished in seconds...

Jars after earthen jars of home-made tender baby mango pickles, mahani pickles and citron pickles, tied at the top with a piece of old veshti so they can breathe and age gracefully...

Sitting on the veranda on moonlit nights, hands outstretched with palms facing up, taking turns getting the little round mounds of rice and rasam and vegetables that you lovingly drop into our hands, fighting for the buttery last dollop, and gulping it down happily enjoying the most satisfying dinner ever...

Amma, my dear Amma, the list is endless... the memories you made for us, for me especially, are priceless. I know I never thanked you much and probably made you more frustrated than ecstatic with my erratic moods as I grew older, but, through it all you have managed to see the best in me and always bring out the best in me.

I couldn't let this Mother's Day go by without singing your praises while I remember and appreciate two ordinary moms you introduced me to before I had any inkling of what Motherood entails.

If I don't say it enough, Amma, I feel extremely lucky to be your daughter. I don't know what I did to deserve it, but whatever it was, I am sure glad I did!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger Tharini said...

So intensely beautiful. That picture, and the one you weaved with your words. Am in heaven now after reading this Sheela!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older