Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Monday, November 03, 2008

Halloween Costume 2008

What do you want to be for Halloween, Ana?
Peanut Butter Jelly!

Maybe you want to be a faerie, you think?
Nope. I think I want to be a Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich!

How about Tinker Bell? You like Tinker Bell, right? Maybe you can be Tinker Bell for Halloween?
No, Amma! I want to be Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich!

O-kay! Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich it is.

halloween costume peanut butter jelly sandwichAnd, so, I bought some foam and fabric and made this costume for her. Am glad she didn't ask for anything too complicated... thankfully, this was a terribly simple one to make and I had a lot of fun making it.

As mentioned last year, I have mixed feelings about Halloween: I do not approve of the candy-binge, I do not like the spooky horror stuff, however, I do like the fact that kids can get very creative and design their costume and even perhaps make it themselves, or at least help make it when possible... I know I couldn't make Ana's costume last year and I ended up buying one after severely knotting my innards with moral anguish...

And now that schools and neighborhoods are becoming very politically correct about it, this becomes a Happy Fall Festival! instead of Happy All Hallow's Eve! which is fine by me. Which makes carving pumpkins almost mandatory :)

halloween costume peanut butter jelly sandwichEvery year since D and I got married, we have carved pumpkins - we each get to design the features and carve as best as we can.

There is something very relaxing about scooping out the innards of a pumpkin, composting the pulp, roasting the seeds, and carving a Jack-O-Lantern, lighting a candle inside it and watching it take on a personality of its own in the dark...

However, this year, Ana decided to make up her own design - she wanted "circle eyes", "circle nose" and "crescent moon mouth" and that's what D made. And, she said the other one can have "triangle eyes". D found it very exciting and rewarding to try and carve a pumpkin to Ana's design...

D was very enthusiastic about showing off her costume in the neighborhood and he took her trick-or-treating, promptly stashing away the candy-loot out-of-sight, while I stayed home with Oggie who was running a 101.5°F temperature due to nasty ear infection and so was terribly fussy and unhappy, poor baby! He has been sick for quite a few days now, and I didn't really want to put him in any sort of costume when he is feeling so poorly... there is always next year...

We had fewer trick-or-treaters this year than last year, and I guess I was right about that invisible 'X' mark... And, to my surprise, instead of the traditional little loot basket or little bag, they all came with huge pillow cases as candy-sack... Of course, D bought a bunch of bulk candy from Winco which are not the usual Reeese's or Hershey's, but, fruit-flavored hard candy and sour gummy-worms this year, so, the 'X' probably got reinforced and doubled...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Dee said...

are you kidding me?!!..you made this awesomely creative costume ?...you truely rock!!

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger B o o said...

When I saw the pic, I was like "how cool! shops sell such nice costumes too"! And then I read the post. Whoa! You are awesome, Sheela. And I cant tell that often enough! :)

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Reva said...

You are totally wow! And the bonnet is the best.. very delicious looking pb&j sandwich :))

Hope little oggie is better now..

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older