Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Kids Craft: Tie-Dye using natural dyes


Inspired by all the natural dyes she has been using for tie-dyeing at school, Ana was itching to do more over the weekend.

I used black bean water in school for the beautiful light purple, Mama.
Oh, and I am working with Marigold for the yellow dye...


What else can I use at home, Mama?
she asked, adding,
I really want to do my own tie-dye project now.

Hmmm... what else... I thought sipping my sweetened hibiscus tea. The lovely rich burgundy red hibiscus tea. Made with dried hibiscus flowers that I buy in bulk from a Mexican market.


The unassuming yet gorgeous Hibiscus flowers which were all over the garden when I was growing up. The flowers mostly used as a hair cleanser. Shikakai and Hibiscus flowers/leaves were all I had for my hair wash when I was very young. No fancy bottled shampoos - they came into my life during my teens.

Dried Hibiscus Flowers
+ Hot Water
+ Rubber Bands
+ 12" Square Muslin Cloth
= One Cool Lunch Napkin

Not the rich burgundy napkin as the tea naturally but a pleasant dusty rose. Soaked for about 20 minutes - the limit of Ana's patience that day. Hung on the clothesline for about 15 minutes under the blazing sun till mostly dry. Raw edges sewed up in 5 minutes.

I've done quite a bit of tie-dyeing on and off (Who hasn't, really? At least from my generation...), but not with natural dyes. We hope to be exploring more natural dyes as we go along...













Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Vibha said...

Tying rubber bands is a clever idea. It was hard for Raghav and Medha to manage with thin thread. Thanks for the tip.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger ranjani.sathish said...

It looks so pretty and seems simple too. Since we have lots of hibiscus plants around, I should try this with shraddha !

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I love it! I've been wanting to try something similar with the boys. We may give red cabbage a shot.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

Vibha:: I so love all that you do with R and M, not to mention the author interviews and book reviews, and your drawings and story-writing!

Ranjani:: Your renewed energetic posts these days on cooking is wonderful... have I mentioned how much I am in awe that you took up story-telling and have been entertaining the kids in Bengaluru?!

Megan:: I am going to miss seeing Max, but there's still the connection with Luke and Harmony, possibly play dates? I love the relaxed way in which you are raising Max and Luke, they sure are lucky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older