Saturday, June 25, 2011

I've worked with your flower

There are many wonderful words, some simple and delicate, some rich and complex, which when strung together in a certain sequence can squeeze the heart and overpower our emotions.

My mom being a retired high school teacher, I know how much she loved all her kids. (I must admit, it used to make me a bit cross when she said "my kids" when referring to the school kids - my friends - she taught).

Though not choked with emotion to the point of weeping, I know my mom felt a pang of something every summer when a batch of kids moved on to college after high school. She remembers many of her kids, if not by name, but by where they sat in the class, what worked best to get them interested in the topics, how they did their lab work, sometimes even their handwriting and their smile!

Anyway, I came across this little poem when Ana recently finished KG, and I do believe her teacher teared up a bit and got emotional when it was time to say good-bye to the outgoing kids. To cherish that moment, I quote this poem as it seems quite timeless. (Author unknown; please drop a note if you are the author or know who wrote this, authoritatively).

I've worked with your flower,
And helped it to grow.
I'm returning it now,
But I want you to know...

This flower is precious,
As dear as can be.
Love it, take care of it,
And you will see...

A bright new bloom,
With every day.
It grew and blossomed
In such a wonderful way.

In September just a bud,
January, a bloom;
Now a lovely blossom
I'm returning in June.

Remember, this flower,
As dear as can be,
Though rightfully yours,
Part will always belong to me!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Vibha said...

what a lovely poem Sheela. Thanks for sharing it here.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Sangitha said...

A lovely poem, thanks for sharing. It's so true that teachers step in and become moms at school in some ways and moms step in to become teachers at home. Can't do without either!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Sheela said...

Vibha:: I was a bit moved too, thinking how important a role early childhood teachers play in our kids' lives, and how seldom they are remembered and appreciated...

Sangi:: You said it so beautifully! Thanks!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Swati said...

Ahh ..thats a lovely poem ..says so much about a teacher :)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Sangitha said...

Shared this with my kids' teachers and this is what one of them (a very good teacher already!) said:
"Sangitha: thats really touching.. Thank You.. This note has just awakened something in me.. Makes me want to do whatever i am doing better and better every day.. Makes me want to learn something new from my children each day.."

It's really made a difference to her. The power of words! Thanks again for sharing this. We need to find the poet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older