Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

I used to have strong views about "made-up" holidays. It was easy to say, I refuse to give in to commercialization, or, Every day is special, so why create a hoopla on a dedicated day?

Each day, no doubt, is a precious gift. But, each day is also a day of missed opportunities thanks to the hamster wheel that life has turned into for many of us struggling to balance our commitments.

If I don't take the opportunity to show my gratitude on specially marked days, I probably will push it aside and keep going, assuming my family and friends know my heart and can read my mind.

Of late, I have started embracing some of the non-traditional holidays, albeit with reserved skepticism and redefined manner of celebration, opening my mind to the views of what they can come to represent for our family.

For instance, were it not Father's Day today, D would have continued to work all day, the kids clustering around me, missing their dad but knowing he is busy, wanting to go do something fun with him but accepting that they can't - not today, maybe later, maybe next weekend...



But, he did set aside half a day and the kids chose to go Strawberry-Picking with him. We all had a fun couple of hours, enjoyed the wonderful outdoors, feasted on strawberries; came home, made wholesome strawberry shortcake which turned out delicious.

Ana had made a card in school for Father's Day - much like the self-portrait, using the Glue and Chalk Pastel process.

All in all, not a spectacular day, doing fantastic things, but, certainly a relaxed day with enough attention and activity for the kids to make it not-so-ordinary.

I am grateful I got to talk to my dad. Cursed myself for not restraining the snippy tone that creeps into my conversations when I hear something that I am unable to accept. I did manage to thank him for all that he has done for me willingly and happily, taking it up as a sacred duty. When I look back, rather than going out and doing all the things he wanted to do, he chose to want to do the things he needed to do to provide and care for his family. I wish I could develop that attitude one of these days... I am rambling...

Happy Father's Day!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Kay said...

I get you on that snippy tone. Only because I have noticed mine too. Thanks for the lovely post, Sheela.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

Oh, Kay, thank you... am so glad you understood the snippy tone part which means no disrespect but just creeps in as one is unable to handle things...

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Sheela - Ana is one awesome artist..she is truely gifted!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

Dee:: Thanks! I am amazed at all the kids in Ana's school - they are all wonderful artists - a couple of Still-life one of the kids did (at age 6) simply blew me away - just a few lessons from his artist classroom assistant and he churned out awesome art...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older