Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Read To Me Picture Book Challenge



Hurray for Books!

That's what came to Ana's mind when thinking about the message she wanted to put on one of her (many) hand-made bookmarks.

And, since we read a ton of books anyway, it seems like a fun thing to participate in the Read To Me: Picture Book Challenge hosted by There's A Book

We read quite a few books on a fairly regular basis -i.e., daily, sometimes reaching for old favorites, sometimes must-take-home new ones from the library. Well, "new" is a relative term.

So, I was leaning towards the challenge level: "Harvesting": 200 picture books with a child in a year.

I figured reading 200 picture books must be a cakewalk considering we've been doing close to that (possibly more) each year.

However, the fact is, out of every dozen books we read, only one or two resonate with the kids enough to urge me to share here in my blog.

Then, I got to thinking. Realistically, writing reviews for 200 picture books is not going to work out so well with the eternal rush this life has turned into, at least, not if I plan to stay sane.

And, if I don't write a review per book diligently, it is hard to keep track of the books we read and how it affected us for this Read To Me: Picture Book Challenge. (No cluster posts or listings for this challenge as far as I understand).

Also, since I subscribe to the If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all school of thought, I seldom share books that I didn't like. What's the point, right?

Plus, now that we are more into fantastic chapter books, reading picture books with Ana is getting fewer and far between... Og pretty much overcompensates with his obsession for books.

Therefore, a conservative challenge of "Watering": 36 picture books with a child from now till Dec 31, 2011, is the level I am settling on for now.

I can always change my mind, I am sure :)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger The1stdaughter said...

So so happy to have you join the challenge! Feel free to change your level of participation whenever you'd like...it's all up to you!

I really like your stance on reviews, "if you can't say anything nice...". It may be because I try to do the same thing, there are so many books out there it's hard to want to focus on the ones we only sort of liked or didn't like at all. Great way to look at things!

Again, happy to have you! :o)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

The1stdaughter:: Thank you for stopping by. I am indeed excited about the idea.

And since I contribute to Saffron Tree passionately even if not terribly regularly, it feels like I am doing what I do anyway, while being able to reach out to more people in the process!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older