Friday, July 27, 2007

sewing baby clothes


I have been a mediocre seamstress at best, trying to sew my lounge clothes and skirts when I was in high school and college. Then, I sort of got busy with Education and Job and never thought twice about sewing unless it was some pillow case, cushion covers, shower curtains or just curtains.

But, since Ana was born, I have taken a renewed liking to sewing. It has been my favorite thing to do for her. As a baby she was outgrowing most of her clothes within a month or so, and it was fun to sew my own rather than buying the generic ones from the store.

Nowadays, many a weekend, I try to think up some simple outfit I can sew for her. The nice thing about baby clothes is, who's going to complain if it doesn't fit just-so? right? So what if the left pant leg is about half-a-centimeter shorter than the right;-)

I stick to simple patterns, and simple projects that can be finished in an hour or two. It is very rewarding to see Ana try on her new clothes I just sewed and sort of prance around happily :-)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I so wish I could sew!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger MarieY said...

I used to sew clothes for my daughter too when she was little - the last time I used my machine was last Halloween when I made her costume. Oh, how I miss making those little dresses. Thanks for joining our Friday Faves.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger . said...

Can you help me on the sizing. I want to sew a coming home dress for my soon to be born daughter. I am at a loss! I have a simplicity pattern and was going to sew the XXS size. I am worried that it will be too small if she is on the long or large size. Do you have any insight on this?
I also considered replacing the zipper with velcro as I thought it would be more comfortable for her and easier for my MIL to take up or let out if it was too big/small. (While we are still in hospital).

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Sheela said...

HI C, Thanks for your note... as to sizing, am not sure what sort of help I will be - you are right about velcro - I used velcro in most of the baby clothes I sewed - no buttons or ties or anything that could come off into baby's mouth...

...for birth/coming-home dress, I just used a store-bought newborn dress as model rather than any pattern for the same reason you mentioned - it is hard to decide on sizing on sewing patterns...

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Baby Outfits Today said...

Ihave to tell my wife to learn how to sew once again. lol. Thanks for the nice post!!


Stuart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older