Friday, November 06, 2009

Kids Craft: Paper Weaving

kids paper weaving

After reading Abuela's Weave, I was inspired to show Ana the simplest weaving project I could think of (gleaned from various web-inspired projects, of course): Paper Weaving.

Fortunately, Ana has done some hand-sewing, including needle-threading, and has also seen Nana's Spinning Wheel up close to spin wool to yarn; she has also seen the loom at work first-hand at Barefoot Weaving last Spring. So, there was some idea of how a fabric takes shape from threads.

When I suggested we make our own small "fabric" - a small patchwork-style piece with paper - which involves weaving paper strips, she simply trusted me and agreed to give it a try.

Items Used: black card stock paper, colorful printed paper either from magazines or scrapbook accessories, glue, paper cutter, scissors

  1. Making the "weft" - i.e., the up-and-down or over-and-under lines in weaving, was easy enough: cut strips of colorful paper with a small paper-cutter, or scissors with guide-lines drawn on the paper
  2. Making the "warp" - i.e., the parallel lines in weaving: Cut about 1½ cm wide parallel slits in a piece of black card stock paper with scissors
  3. Now that the warp and weft pieces are ready, start at one edge and weave in and out of the slits with the strips of colored paper. And alternate starting over and under to create the weave

kids paper weaving

I did help push the weft-strips close to each other to get a tight weave. Then, she glued the free ends of the strips to the backing black paper. I trimmed the excess, added the loops and the 'dowel' twig on top for hanging. Voilà!

kids crafts paper weaving


Then, she took me by surprise by deciding to just glue the remaining strips of paper on to a backing by going over and under independently.

However, when she noted, "Amma, I don't have enough strips to make it tight", I guess the seeds were sown.

kids paper weaving




Labels:

11 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous sole said...

Absolutely brilliant Sheela. Always inspired by your ideas..your lil one is turning out to be one true wiz :)!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Poppins said...

*Taking copious notes*

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Tharini said...

totally cool! And such a simple project to do at home!

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Subhashree said...

Beautiful. I just have to visit your blog for ideas to entertain the kids and you are sure not to disappoint me. I guess this is the next project in the crazy household.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Sheela said...

Sole, Poppy, Tara, Subha:: Thank You! Am happy to share simple stuff I manage to do; and it would be nice to know how it turned out - so, drop a note when you get a chance to try these with your kids - it will help me learn as well...

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Dee said...

this is cool work. Ana is truely talented...keep going Ana!
I am going to have this project for Chintu during my maternity leave..

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Choxbox said...

Hey we do this a lot too!

In fact we fold the woven product and make purses, lanterns, picture frames..

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

What a brilliant idea, Sheela. Loved this activity! I'm following your awesome blog.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Choxbox said...

and hey - my lil one has the SAME t-shirt your daughter is wearing!!!!

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

::Dee:: Cool! but take it easy - I am sure Chintu would love some alone-time with mom while doing this project.

::Chox:: How cool is that?! purses and frames, eh? Nice!

And, so, your daughter has the exact same Power Puff girls shirt, eh? Not surprised - considering I bought Ana's in Hyderabad - Coupon Mall, I think - well, Ana's chithi bought it for her really and Ana fell in love with it, so, I really didn't have much to do with it... rambling again!

::Swapna:: Thanks and Welcome! Love hearing more from you!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Choxbox said...

yup she does - also gifted :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older