Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Concussion

Ringing Cell Phone.
Reluctant Answering.
Disbelief.
Momentary Paralysis.
Rapid-firing Call-to-Action Signals.
Emotional Turmoil.
Drumming Heart.
Pounding Head.

I am not sure I registered anything much after I took one look at my baby in pain awaiting medical attention, still retained in school. The necessary mechanism took over in me and the required call was made and rushed with her to the hospital where it was declared that she was suffering from symptoms of concussion.

She injured the back of her head at P.E. in school. It must've been a mighty bad hit. The nausea, the seeing-stars, the mild disorientation, the headache, the inconsolable cries... symptoms she exhibited and even verbalized before getting terribly drowsy. Symptoms that immediately sent up red flags...

By the grace of God, she did get her doctor's care and the necessary tests were done and was put under the 24-48 hrs observation.

Many thoughts, many grateful thoughts, not to mention prayers and acceptance were surging in my head when she was released to us to take home with instructions to keep her under observation.

Never take anything for granted the inner voice keeps playing on repeat mode.

And, at the very periphery were some nagging thoughts waiting to get the center stage. Why didn't someone call 911 right away? To say that I was rightfully indignant at the first response she was given (or not given) is saying it mildly. But, that is just the agitated parent talking. A calmer mind like D's seemed satisfied with the care she got before we arrived.

In a situation of head injury or doubt, isn't it plain commonsense to err on the side of safety and call for transport and get the child the immediate medical attention needed rather than call the parent who might not be at arm's length to reach on time? "Do not try to judge the severity of the injury yourself." Isn't that the mantra? I guess more than once schools have been bitten by parents' responses - "Ambulance costs a fortune", "Insurance does not cover it", "We would have done the needful without the extra expenditure" - all true, sadly.

While my insides are churning and roiling right now, I find a strange sense of solace in discharging these words here. Not a blame game, not a coulda-shoulda post-mortem, but just plain release of emotional energy with the hope that the needful will be done for any child under similar circumstances.

Never take anything for granted .

A follow-up appointment on Friday is as far as I can think right now.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Tharini said...

Sheels! That is pretty scary. I am glad Ana is home. As I was reading, I too was thinking why they hadn't called 911 right away. Anyways, all my love and prayers for the little one and I hope she feels better and better every day.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger sandhya said...

Oh, my God, Sheela! Hugs! You take care. My prayers with you and the little one.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger sathish said...

that is scary! hope she is feeling better now.

 
At 4:22 AM, Anonymous B o o. said...

Am so glad Anas home, Sheela! That was heart breaking to read! A phone call from school gives me the shivers. Hope Ana gets well very soon. Hugs.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Gayatri said...

Hope Ana is better now.
Hugs.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Lavs said...

Hugs Sheela.Hope Ana is feeling better.Prayers for your family.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Poppins said...

OMG Sheela - thank god it's all right now.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous GG said...

Hope Ana is feeling better now. Take care.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

Thank you all. Your kind words and prayers are much appreciated.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Kay said...

oh my!! What a nightmare.... Sheela, I hope Ana is recovering well..

Love,hugs and prayers!

Kay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older