Sunday, September 19, 2010

Komen Race for the Cure, 2010


Late Spring this year, it was not anywhere in my radar, although I have always wanted to participate in charity runs.

Kids, lack of energy, no time, not in the budget this year, old ankle injury, sleep-deprivation all spring to mind. But, topmost of the reasons was that I simply didn't want to run. Or so I thought.

Anyway, after the kids arrived, it seemed like running was a luxury I could only dream about. But, over summer, with a little motivation from the Couch25K running program, I took up training for 5K runs again.

In a true runner's life, 5K is probably nothing. But, it was a daunting number for me initially. Pedometer and iPod Shuffle were my constant partners in this venture. Mia's podcasts for timed interval runs were simple and motivating, even if the music was not my style. Once I settled into the distance and pace comfortably, the charming Scottish accent of Mark, Anna, and Cara in Radio Lingua's Coffee Break Spanish and French got me through the weekly sessions. After which, I was free to choose my own mix to keep me motivated on days I needed it.

The toughest part of the training was not the running itself but working around D's schedule so I can leave the kids with him and take that time for myself and enjoy the solitude and nature along the trail. So, more than my commitment to the program, I needed D's, and once I had it, I could find no other excuses to put it off. Especially since I was mostly home with the kids over summer.

And, as soon as I came across the brochure for Komen Race for the Cure, I had to join in and contribute. Many years went by when I would simply send in what little I can afford as a donation and not bother with the Walk/Run for a cause, but the stars must've aligned themselves this year to give me that extra push to actually get out there and run.

What an awesome group of people I met today! Many of them were breast-cancer survivors, running 5K along with everyone. Kids not much older than 10 were running along with their moms the whole distance. It was quite inspiring to see the high spirits there today, despite the sombre note hanging in the air, especially when friends and family were running in memory/honor of their loved ones.

And, the live entertainment and free nourishment after the race made it quite a social event to finish off the weekend.

It was wonderful to know that the kids were waiting at the Finish Line to see if their mom made it through... and she did, 35 minutes after she stepped across the Start Line and began her steady-paced jog along the barricaded city streets.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Gauri said...

Way to go, Sheela ! :)

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Me2 said...

Bravo! way to go sis :)

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger sathish said...

Good Work, Sheela.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

Gauri:: Thanks! I am beginning to like your writing prompts posts :)

Me2:: Thanks!

Satish:: Thanks! Hope you are enjoying SFO... I am having fun planning CROCUS with Ranj and P :)

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Reva said...

Omg.. you are simply awesome. And every time I feel like whining or complaining about the lack of time, I get reminded of you (and a few others)... and it bursts that balloon of whining then and there. You are such an inspiration, Sheela!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Dee said...

You rock Superwoman!!!

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger mnamma said...

*High five* Way to go Sheela!!!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Bong Mom said...

Wow, Sheela that is great. Is that you ? You look fantastic.
Every day I think I should need some exercise just to increase my energy level and somehow I never get the time. Getting inspired now

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Sheela said...

Reva, Dee, mnamma, Bong Mom, Thanks!
I so hear you about time and energy - or lack of - if I wasn't home over summer with the kids but working full time instead, I *know* I would not have taken this up at all...

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Kay said...

you go, girl!!! so proud of you!!

Running gives me the heebiejeebies for now, but I'm sure I want to take it up someday.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Subhashree said...

You amaze me. Congrats on running. Btw, I love Coffee Break French and Spanish :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older