Monday, August 30, 2010

Continual state of inelegance

"MAMA! NAANAA TOOK MY FIE-YO TWUCK!"


"Ana took your fire truck? Do you want it back, Oggie? Well, ask her to give it back."
...  ... ...
"Ask her nicely, Oggie".



"AMMA! OGGIE IS RUINING MY PICNIC WITH ENID! MAKE HIM GO AWAY!"

"Maybe he wants to be invited to the picnic. Serve him some tea and show him how to pour without spilling."

"NO, AMMA! THIS IS ONLY FOR GIRLS. OGGIE IS NOT INVITED. HE WILL MAKE A MESS. I DON'T WANT HIM TO PLAY WITH MY TEA SET. NO, OG! DON'T TOUCH IT! AMMAAAAA!"

"Yes, Ana?"

"STOP HIM! TAKE HIM AWAY, SO I CAN PLAY!"

"Do you want him to play somewhere else and not disturb you?"

"YEAH!"

"Well, tell him that so he understands you. Maybe interest him in something else"

"Shoo, shoo, Oggie, Go away. Go look at the kitties, they are playing with your cars!"

"Where, Naanaa? Kitties are playing with my cars? NO! Let me go find them."

"Thanks, Amma. He went away."
...
...
...

AMMA!"

"MAMA...MAMA!"

"AMMA! I CALLED YOU FIRST..."


Even as I brace myself for the impending blitz, I manage to casually sip my tea in a non-drug-induced stupor, wondering if sleep-deprivation has its advantages...

Sure there were moments when a volcano seemed tamer in comparison, when I surprised myself with over-reacting, only to wilt and crumble moments later scrambling to over-compensate... I am after all only human... a human whose limits of patience and stamina are constantly pushed and stretched...

If I can query the Magic Mirror à la Snow White's stepmom Queen (did she have a name?),
"Mirror Mirror on the Wall
Who is the most Inelegant-Mom of all?",
I wouldn't be surprised at its possibly honest reflection.

Between trips to playgrounds/gardens/museum/zoo,  arts & crafts activities, hikes in park trails, reading at home/library/bookstore, indulging in board-games as much as pretend-play, not to mention plenty of free play time, the summer seems to have zipped by in  a blur... or perhaps it seems that way since the only difference between days and nights for me was that I had both the kids active and raring to go during daytime, but only Oggie still chugging along at medium-high pace at nights. Oggie, the Sleep-Is-For-Wimps poster child.

 At least Ms. Austen blamed it on summer when she said, "What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance." I have no such excuse.



Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Gauri said...

Well - I can tell you this - you sure have another serious contender for that post you mentioned :))))))

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Choxbox said...

:)
Sometimes I wonder what my kids eat - I’d like some it too to keep up!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger ranjani.sathish said...

so understandable !

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Praba Ram said...

my one-stop-source for complete harmony and peace. No points for guessing the keyword of summer in the ram household - insufferable! again, thanks to lizzy! :)

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Kowsalya Subramanian said...

Sheela - if you call yourself as Inelegant then I don't know what should I call myself :(

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Dee said...

lovely :)Is'nt this why we all want 2nd ones in the first place ;))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older