Sunday, December 27, 2009

She came, I saw, We hugged

She was in town with her kids for a brief visit. She was bringing her kids to OMSI which is about 15-20 mins from where I live. She wondered if we can meet somehow. Ha! Like I would miss this opportunity when she has come all the way cross-country and was practically at my doorstep!

Not finding her at the entrance where we planned to meet, I was frantically trying to find her number on the cell phone when a tug and a "Boo!" made me jump and turn around.

It was surreal.

We've exchanged at least a zillion words via email, planned out CROCUS with our wonderful friends, shared pictures and tidbits of ourselves, kids, and family so much so that it was hard to think that until a couple of years ago we were just tiny specs completely unaware of each other's existence in this vast universe.

We chatted non-stop, even though our attention was split between minding the respective little ones and following them around the hallways, and trying to catch up on our conversations via email...

"I like your hair! I like the shorter cut better than the one before..." I blurt out. The truth.

"I washed it today. 2 days in a row. 'Coz I was coming to meet you..." she says, with a direct, disarming smile, putting me at ease right away.

"Me too! I was going to put it up as it was too sticky, but, wanted to wash it as I was coming to meet you..." I admit shamelessly.

Coincidentally, we both relied on a clichéd and uncharacteristic ice-breaker which instantly put us at ease.

What You See Is What You Get with this lady. Honest. Genuinely down-to-earth. No pretenses. Open and warm. Simple and practical.

I was a bit scatter-brained what with having to mind Oggie running all over in one way, while her little S was trotting off in another... she seemed relaxed about letting her baby run around while I was chasing Oggie worried he will slip out the door with someone else happily and not even know it... but, we managed. We managed to have a short and sweet meeting, a long-pending meeting.

P, if you are reading this, thanks for taking the time to meet me, in the middle of your short visit here.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Tharini said...

Wow. I can just totally imagine the surreality. Totally! Yay that it happened!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Choxbox said...

sounds perfect :)

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Poppins said...

Oh wow! Amazing. When will it be our turn Sheela?

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Sheela said...

Oh, Tharini, this was really strange - I am a bit shy and inhibited usually - but P put me at ease right away!

Choxie, D was going to drop me & the kids off, get his hardware store fix and then pick me up in 20 mins - but, I made him walk us from the parking lot to the entrance... and seeing that all of us showed up, P was so darn nice that she pulled herself and S out of the Planetarium show and let D and Ana go instead so we'll have time together! Wasn't that thoughtful!

Poppy: Every time I think about it, I kick myself for missing the chance to meet you! It was so darn overwhelming to travel in that heat in India that I gave up after the first round... but, hopefully this summer?! I imagine you as a bubbly and talkative gal who is cosmopolitan and funny, I swear!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Tharini said...

That, Poppy certainly is. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older