Friday, August 31, 2007

cut-out sewing toy update

So, whenever I get a chance I go back and update an earlier post with a photo or two - just for my satisfaction, my record... (and take the chance to correct any typos or miscommunication as well).

Turns out, a few times when I queried my parents they missed the photo updates altogether, reasoning, "We've read that post already - but if you tell us when you update it, we will go back and read it". Which seemed a bit tedious and counter-intuitive - I mean, what's the point in posting in reverse-chronological order and having them go back?!

So, I have decided, at the risk of repetition, posting the updates as a separate post:-)

[Finally, I am catching on to this blog-thing!]

Now, in my earlier post, I had written about the first item on Tharini's rainy day activities list that inspired me to make the cut-out sewing thing - a pig and a fish, out of craft foam sheet.



And, as this was the firs time I came across it, I naturally leaned towards using a yarn needle for letting Ana "sew" the holes in the pieces. And wasn't happy that I had to supervise closely whenever she wanted to do this activity.

Then I had a lightbulb moment!

I pulled out a shoelace from an old shoe of hers and started using it for "sewing" the foam cut-outs!





Seems like Ana likes this better than the needle. And, it still seems to provide the necessary fine motor exercise as she threads the shoelace through the holes... Mostly, she likes to do whip-stitch style - just bottom to top through each hole, which is fine by me:-)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Tharini said...

oh! shoelaces is whatthe original kit I bought came with! So you are bang on! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older