Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy 6th, Little Girl!

Mama, can I have a sleepover for my birthday?
Ummm... let me think about it. OK?
...
Have you thought about it yet, Mama?
Yes, I have. I think we should have the sleepover when you are a little older.


She did get to have a picnic playtime with her friends to celebrate her special day. And, as always, a quiet yet beautiful Birthday Walk celebration in school where we got to share little tidbits about Ana with her friends and listen to their stories about Ana as well. A wonderful, no fuss birthday with friends and family.



The night before her birthday, while she was sleeping, the Garden Fairies helped me make a cake for Ana. One of them posed for the fondant fairy decoration I was wrestling with. A few others helped place the sugar flowers in the Spring Garden cake: regular white cake recipe with some dark cocoa powder and Ovaltine™ made the earth/soil part of the cake; white rolled fondant tinted with light spring green for pasture; flower sugars and carrots gave it a thriving fullness, with the fondant fairy watching over it all.

Of course, I let the fondant fairy set overnight on a plate as the cake wasn't ready. And she froze in position. It got very tricky prying her out to place her on the cake, and that's when the unfortunate accident happened. She lost her lovely long legs and part of her wings. So, rather than stretching out her legs and beaming benevolently as she did in my head, the fondant fairy ended up with an inscrutable expression and prosthetic limbs.

However, the blue fondant rose I made for her head cheered up the delectable fairy a bit. And she set up a banner on the cake that read, "Wishes come true... when you are happy."

She was very edible though, despite her misfortune. Not for me, I don't care for fondant despite an inch of buttercream layer under it. But, the kids seem to like it. And considering I make cakes about two or three times a year, it isn't too bad.



The Garden Fairies refused to wave their magic wand, sprinkle some fairy dust and magically fix the cake to match what I had in my mind. No matter.

They did bring some fresh flowers and left a note with it for Ana, in their teeny tiny handwriting which I had to read with a magnifying glass.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Choxbox said...

Belated Happy Birthday Ana!

And thats a LOVELY cake. May the fairies bless the big girl!

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous B o o. said...

Belated birthday wishes to Ana! The cake looks beautiful as always! :)

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Sheela said...

Choxie::Thank you! I wish Ana could meet Choxie Aunty and go to her carpentering workshops!

B o o::Thank you! Hope all's well with Big A and little a - give them a tight squeeze from me even if they don't have a clue I exist and know about them :)

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Wow...what a whimsical birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet girl!!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Kay said...

Belated birthday wishes to Ana! Gosh, times flies!!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A very very happy birthday wishes to you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older